MINDFULNESS AND HIKING
Hike with intention. Take a moment to take in your surroundings. In the Boise area we have
some of the most beautiful foothills and when you fully experience it both your body and mind
Some quick tips to mindfully embrace some of our favorite hikes in the area:
1. Set your intention by stopping before you start. The moment before the hike starts just
take a moment to pause. Connect with your breath. Feel the earth fully supporting your
body and feet. When your mind wanders or brings in the stress of what happened
before or what’s happening after this hike, gently guide it back to your breath and your
2. Awake your senses. Our attention is typically consumed by the never-ending chatter
within our minds; in fact, they estimate 90% of our attention goes there! Engage your
senses with 5-4-3-2-1 mindfulness activity. Acknowledge 5 things you see, 4 things you
can touch, 3 you hear, 2 that you smell and 1 that you can taste.
3. Take a mental snap shot. Put away your phone and take a shot with your mind.
4. Walk or sit. Don’t hesitate to sit with yourself when needed. Let go of judgement from
yourself and others.
5. Practice. Return to your breath and your senses throughout the hike. Enjoy the practice
of coming back to this present moment.
Now, here some of the Womeness Community’s favorite local hiking trails:
If you’d like to lead a hike or have other ideas for Womeness in the Wilderness email us at
firstname.lastname@example.org and don’t forget to check our Womeness in the Wilderness